The gapTCO tool is an intuitive, graphical user experience designed to allow simple and easy analysis of the Total Cost of Ownership of printer and MFP devices. This month’s installment compares the Brother MFC-L5900DW, the Canon imageCLASS MF448dw, the HP LaserJet Pro MFP M428fdw, and the Lexmark MX431adw.
At an AMPV of 1,000 pages, under a five-year length of ownership, and leveraging the manufacturer web site prices for hardware:
The Brother MFC-L5900DW is the winning product with the lowest TCO of $1,402.91, followed by the Lexmark MX431adw with a TCO of $1,587.96, the HP LaserJet Pro MFP M428fdw with a TCO of $1,780.94, and the Canon imageCLASS MF448dw with a TCO of $1,799.00.
- The Brother MFC-L5900DW and the Lexmark MX431adw offer the fastest print speed at 42ppm, followed by the Canon imageCLASS MF448dw and the HP LaserJet Pro MFP M428fdw at 40ppm.
- All products in the comparison come equipped with both automatic duplex printing capabilities and standard WiFi connectivity.
- The models from Canon, HP, and Lexmark offer a 350 sheet standard input tray capacity and a 900 sheet maximum input tray capacity, while the Brother device features a lower standard input tray capacity at 300 sheets and a higher maximum input tray capacity at 1,340 sheets.
- The Brother MFC-L5900DW provides the largest DADF capacity at 70 sheet, while all other SKUs in the comparison offer a 50 sheet DADF capacity.
- The Lexmark MX431adw features the most robust scan speeds at 45/22ipm simplex and 96/42ipm duplex.
- With regards to footprint, the Lexmark MX431adw has the smallest at 233.3 square inches. The HP LaserJet Pro MFP M428fdw comes in second at 253.9 square inches, while the Brother MFC-L5900DW and the Canon imageCLASS MF448dw both offer a 327.6 square inch footprint.
- The models in the comparison offer similar black starter yields at 3,100 pages for the Canon and HP devices and at 3,000 pages for the Brother and Lexmark SKUs. With regards to replacement yields, the Lexmark MX431adw provides 20,000 pages, followed by the Canon and the HP devices at 10,000 pages each, and the Brother SKU at 8,000 pages.
- Usage-Based Black CPPs for this specific printing environment, lowest to highest are as follows:
- Brother MFC-L5900DW: $0.0167
- Lexmark MX431adw: $0.0190
- HP LaserJet Pro MFP M428fdw: $0.0222
- Canon imageCLASS MF448dw: $0.0225
Screenshot of gapTCO
Latest posts by gap intelligence (see all)
- gapTCO CPC Comparison of Three A3 Departmental B&W MFPs - March 27, 2021
- gapTCO CPP Comparison of Four A4 Small Workteam B&W SFPs - February 17, 2021
- gapTCO CPC Comparison of Four A3 Workgroup Color MFPs - January 20, 2021