The gapTCO tool is an intuitive, graphical user experience designed to allow simple and easy analysis of the Total Cost of Ownership of printer and MFP devices. Due to the ongoing industry discussion of the A3 to A4 shift, this month’s installment compares A3 and A4 workgroup color MFPs to evaluate a price and feature comparison. The devices include the A3 Ricoh IM C4500, A4 Sharp MX-C402SC, A3 Xerox AltaLink C8035H, and the A4 Xerox VersaLink C505/X.
At an AMPV of 5,000 pages, under a five-year length of ownership, and leveraging private sector pricing for hardware:
The A3 Xerox AltaLink C8035H is the winning product with the lowest TCO of $14,764.00, followed by the A3 Ricoh IM C4500 with a TCO of $15,772.00, the A4 Sharp MX-C402SC with a TCO of $16,955.00, and the A4 Xerox VersaLink C505/X with a TCO of $17,255.00.
- The Xerox VersaLink C505/X has the lowest average private sector hardware price at $2,150, followed by the Sharp MX-C402SC at $4,550, the Xerox AltaLink C8035H at $5,614, and the Ricoh IM C4500 with the highest hardware price at $5,662.
- All devices compared offer standard print, copy, and scan functionality. The Xerox VersaLink C505/X offers fax as a standard feature, while the Ricoh IM C4500, Sharp MX-C402SC, and Xerox AltaLink C8035H maintain fax as optional.
- The Xerox VersaLink C505/X and the Ricoh IM C4500 offer the fastest black and color print speeds at 45ppm, while the Sharp MX-C402SC provides black and color print speeds of 40ppm, followed by the Xerox AltaLink C8035H that offers the slowest print speeds at 35ppm for color and black pages.
- The Xerox AltaLink C8035H provides users with the largest maximum input capacity at 5,140 sheets, followed by the Ricoh IM C4500 at 4,700 sheets, the Xerox VersaLink C505/X at 2,700 sheets, and lastly the Sharp MX-C402SC with maximum input capacity of 2,100 sheets.
- The Xerox AltaLink C8035H offers the largest standard memory at 8 GB (which is also its maximum), followed by the Xerox VersaLink C505/X at 4 GB (also the maximum), Ricoh IM C4500 at 2GB standard memory (4 GB maximum), while the Sharp MX-C402SC provides 1.5 GB standard memory (2.5 GB as maximum).
- Contract-Based Black CPCs for this specific printing environment, lowest to highest are as follows:
- Xerox AltaLink C8035H: $0.0083
- Ricoh IM C4500: $0.0088
- Sharp MX-C402SC: $0.0127
- Xerox VersaLink C505/X: $0.0141
- Contract-Based Color CPCs for this specific printing environment, lowest to highest are as follows:
- Xerox AltaLink C8035H: $0.0527
- Ricoh IM C4500: $0.0586
- Sharp MX-C402SC: $0.0700
- Xerox VersaLink C505/X: $0.0866
Screenshot of gapTCO